Saturday, August 22, 2009

Poor Marcus

I just wanted to let eveyone know what is going on with Marcus. It started on Wednesday when he started running a fever.... He was kind of fussy all day so I decided that it would be best that I not go into work on Thursday. His fever was still there and his breathing got pretty bad and he sounded like a barking seal. So when Crispin got home he suggested I take him into the dr. When we got the the Dr's office I was standing probably 5 feet from the receptionist and she could hear him breathing so she told Crispin that they would get him back there ASAP. Once we got back the Dr came in immediately. He decided that Marcus had croup (not the first time we have dealt with this) so it was easy to hear that. He decided that Marcus needed a breathing treatment and needed to go onto a different steriod to help him breath. After the treatment he came back in to talk to us and said if Marcus started wheezing again that we needed to get him to a hospital.. I was thinking ok, I can handle this and then he pauses for a minute and I'm thinking GREAT!! Then he says: But if he does appear to be in distress like he was when you brought him into the office you need to just call an Ambulance!!! My mind instantly froze... I dont care who you are, but if a mother hears that there is a possibility of having to call an ambulance on your kid, YOUR GONNA FREAK OUT!!! and my Dr must of saw my mind trying comprehend this cause he then starts saying its probably not going to happen I just want you aware of what could happen.... RIGHT..... Of course I freaked out!! (you dont believe me, ask Crispin) So we went and got his Rx and came home. As our luck would have it, our house seemed unusually warm... yep!! the AC was not working!!! So we dealt with it... luckily it was only 84 degrees in the house.. once Marcus fell asleep The air started cooling down and I was able to fall asleep. I moved a twin matress in Marcus's room so i could check on his breathing through the night. Well once crispin got home I asked him to move marcus cause he had crawled into bed with me and it was just too hot. Well when he went to move him, Marcus had a seizure.... Crispin just started screaming my name and i think my mind went blank and my body went numb!!! I can not put down how it felt to see my kids eyes in the back of his head and just watch him shake like that. It only lasted for 5-10 seconds and then he was fine. We moved him into our room and he slept in the bed with crispin and i slept on the matress next to the bed. the next day his breathing started getting bad again so we called the dr and he decided we needed to bring him in because of the seizure.. He said Marcus is doing fine but he is going to have to fight this croup on his own, he doesnt want him getting anymore steroids- in fear it could trigger another seizure.. so in 2 weeks we will get some tests done on Marcus and follow up with a neurologist in 3 weeks. This wouldn't be of much concern since it was only 1 seizure but Crispins family has history of epilepsy... So we will take the steps to do what we need to do to help our little guy!
He has loved the time he has had in our room watchin whatever show he wants on our portable DVD player!!!!
This was taken last night, and in all honesty... this is the only time he hasn't just whined in the last couple of days!!!! He LOVED grandpa pushing him in the wheelbarrow!!!!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh my gosh I am so sorry! That's so scary! I hope Marcus is doing better soon, I'm not sick anymore so if you need my help with anything let me know!

Alison Hixson said...

Wow, Megan that is so scary. I am so glad that he is doing better and that you didn't have to call an ambulance. Poor little guy. Keep us updated on what the tests reveal. I hope it's not epilepsy. We'll keep you guys in our prayers! ;)