Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Rough Start

Poor Bryce has not had a good start!!!! Last Tuesday night we went to bed and when he would wake up to eat, I noticed he would not latch on and so I would give him a bottle and he still would not hardly eat the bottle. We woke up Wednesday morning and I was telling Crispin about it and I rubbed my had over his head and it felt pretty warm to me. I told Crispin I was just paranoid but to get the thermometer instead, We took his temp and it was 99.7. So I called up our Dr and we headed straight in. He was quite alarmed by his systems. He is usually very loud and laughs and jokes through the whole appointment, this time- he did not. He sent us out for blood and urine tests and then to get chest xrays. those tests literally took us almost all day to complete! But we got the results back that afternoon and everything looked good. He said he probably just has a virus but if his temp hits 100, we needed to get him to the hospital. So we started giving him tylenol every 4 hrs! the hardest part was in the night, he would wake up to eat and then I would have to wake up an hour later to get him his medicine on time. But his fever never hit 100, so I kept us what I was doing. Saturday rolled around and his temp never even hit 99, so we thought we were in the clear and he was getting better. Sunday we woke up and Crispin was holding him and then he laid him down to sleep and he was just squirming and making noises and just looked uncomfortable. So I picked him up to see if he would stop and he just squirmed in my arms and felt pretty warm to me. I took his temp and it was 100. so I told Crispin we needed to go, Right then, Marcus decided he did not want to cooperate or anything, it took us about 15 minutes of fighting with him just to get clothes and shoes on him! We went to a hospital down the road from us and there was NO waiting. we checked in and when we went to the waiting area- a nurse was there ready to take us back. They got us back to triage and we waited for the Dr, he came in and said that Bryce would be admitted to Cardons Childrens Hospital, but before they transported him, they would do a couple test. We had more chest Xrays done, and then they needed to do a spinal tap. I took Marcus out of the room for that and Crispin stayed. I could hear Bryce screaming in the hall way and I can only imagine what Crispin went through being in the room with him!! I felt SO bad for both of them. They tried 3 times and were not able to get any fluid. Then they needed to do the IV, 2 different people tried and poked him about 7 times before the called down the nurse from the maternity ward. She decided to go into his head. I could not watch- it was honestly so sad!!!! after they had it in, I could not even look at him without getting lightheaded. at this point, the ambulance was there and ready to take us.


We had 2 guys in there with us and they were both really pleasant. the guy that sat in the back with me was a chatter box!! It helped take my mind off things, but he did not lack for words. When we got to the hospital, Crispin was waiting for us (the ambulance driver drove like a grandma!!!) we came straight upto our room. I think this was the point where it hit me how serious it was. The nurses where dressed like they were going into a surgery, they had on face masks, gloves and a gown covering their scrubs. They checked him over and then we waited and waited for the Dr. he finally came in and said he wanted to try the Spinal tap again (the nurse stepped in and said he was the best and never misses) he looked at his back and said the other Dr aimed too low and that is why he was unable to get any fluid. Both my and Crispin agreed to it, but neither of us could watch him go through that again. We just told him to take him and get all the tests done and bring him back. The Dr came back later and said he was able to get the fluid on the first try.



This has been a REALLY hard thing for me to go through!!! I have stayed strong but when I am alone here, the reality of the situation kicks in. I miss Marcus SOOOO much!!!! He is my buddy and I only get to see him once a day and depending on how he is acting, depends on how long they get to stay. I try to sing 'I am a child of god' to Bryce, but every single time I try, I get maybe 5 words in and I just start crying and I cant do it. Crispin has been amazing through all of this. He has taken work off to stay home with Marcus and that helps me here. Marcus was beyond traumatized when we had Bryce and we were not there, and so this way he atleast has his dad there and can stay some what in his routine. I have such a wonderful husband that would do anything for us, and I am beyond grateful for him!!!!!
















We are hoping to be able to go home tomorrow. I am ready to get out of this place!!!! The staff has been wonderful and this is an amazing facility, but I can only take so much of being away from my whole family! I am ready to get home and get back into the swing of things and have a healthy baby boy!!!! I am grateful for everyone who has reached out to us. It helps knowing that so many people are aware and care about Bryce!!!!




4 comments:

Janice said...

Oh Megan,
My heart goes out to you and what you have been through. I can relate to everything you talked about -- we went through all that same "stuff" with David when he was a baby -- even the IV in the head! He was older (11 months) and had to have surgery after all those tests. But things worked out. Bryce is such a beautiful baby! You are in my prayers. Love to you and your little family!

Grandma B said...

Oh Megan, how hard. He is suuch a beautiful baby!!! We are definitely praying foe him. Hugs and Kisses!!!!!

Darcee said...

Having a sick newborn is stressful, but hospitalization and newborns=frightening. Hang in there. Hugs and prayers. . .

Nancy said...

I hope everything is going OK for you today and you are able to go home. Keep us posted as things progress. He is such a cutie!